Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Back to Reality

Life in the US. So different from my life in Ecuador. And though I would be amiss to say that I didn’t love my time in Ecuador, there are definitely two things that have made my transition back to the USA easier. Cooking and the “buzz of summer”.


The night I got back to the USA I went to Whole Foods and made myself a simple tomato sauce to eat with brown rice pasta and sautéed broccoli. I immediately dove into cooking magazines at my friend’s house and then went to the library to take a peek at some cookbooks. Now that I’m home in Virginia Beach, I’ve cooked for my parents every day. I just love being in the kitchen and surrounded by colorful foods. For father’s day I made blueberry oat scones for breakfast. Dinner was a combination of corvina and shrimp with a guava glaze; grilled squash, corn and onions; and a fresh greens salad with cherry tomatoes and snow peas. We topped it off with ginger peach crisp for dessert.


Great Falls National Park


Now to the “summer buzz.” First off, it’s fabulous to have longer days. In Ecuador, the sun rises around 6:00 am and sets around 6:30 pm. In Virginia Beach, we currently have light until about 8:30. People also seem much happier and more outgoing during the summer months. Personally, I’m always more apt to go out late during the summer. In DC, where a spent my first week back in the US, there are always summer festivities to attend. I went with two coworkers to Jazz in the Park, held every Friday on the National Mall. I also met up with friends from my former book club. They hosted a picnic at Great Fall National Park. Of course, a variety of produce is coming into season as well. I plan to visit one of my favorite farms, Larriland, next time I visit the DC area.


Amon (my former roommate) and me


Now that I’m living near the beach with my parents, visiting the ocean is a must. Growing up, I never took advantage of the beach, but this week I went for a walk on the boardwalk with my parents and visited the annual art show at the beachfront. Another highlight of the week was going out on a boat with a few friends and then cooking tuna and veggies on the BBQ. Can’t wait to see what the rest of the summer has in store.


As you can tell, I didn’t undergo too much culture shock this time. After a few international trips, you realize the aspects of American (USA) culture that cause the reverse culture shock. Now I just acknowledge those things, shake my head and move on. That’s not to say that I just set aside the mentality and emotions I had in Ecuador. No, I hope, in fact, that many of those will stay with me.


Rock we all climbed at Great Falls..soooo much fun!

I am still digesting all the ways that Ecuador has changed me or impressed upon me. I don’t feel like I’m a different person, but hopefully a person with a more relaxed personality. When I became stressed about getting to an appointment on time my second day in DC, it dawned on me that anxiety was rarely part of my life in Ecuador. Time constraints help people get things done, but they can also be stressful.


In Ecuador, I had a handful of outfits for different climates and only one casual skirt. Living this way actually gave me an appreciation for simplicity. I didn’t really get tired of wearing the same clothes over and over (though it was nice because everyone else felt the same way). Now that I’m home, I almost feel claustrophobic in my own room. Over the years I’ve accumulated so much stuff. Time to clean the place out. On the other hand, I am currently in a stage where I enjoy dressing up-not just throwing on jeans and a t-shirt, but perhaps a skirt and collared dress shirt instead. Not sure this mentality will follow me to grad school. We’ll see.


So, my summer is flexible. I have a high school friend coming to visit in July, and I will definitely return to DC at some point. Given the job market and the fact that I’ll only be in town about two months, I decided to forgo job searching. Instead, I’ll try to do small jobs for my neighbors. This summer is the time to complete a few long-term projects, enhance my cooking abilities, stay healthy, and relish my time with family and friends. It may be the last summer I have free from work. Better make the most of it!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is awesome-and you are completely right about living the simple life. I spent April, May and June volunteering in an orphanage/children's center in Quito. You weren't alone wearing the same clothes every day!

    -Mark Hardman
    markcurtishardman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete