Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Journey Begins



Sometimes our best intentions lead to disappointments. Like the fact that I decided to get traveler's checks and then ended up leaving them in DC. However, no need to feel wallow in anger (though I must admit I was frustrated for a time) because in all honesty, there are worse things that could have occurred.

I arrived at 10pm last night into Miami, which was 30 minutes earlier than expected. Another highlight was the fact that there were only about 40 people on the 737 airplane. The whole day I was looking forward to using the business center, so I could update the blog. But, guess what? The business center charges $5 for 10 minutes online. Are you kidding me!? I guess hotels with brand names in the heart of Miami feel they can charge an arm and a leg for a bedroom and then slap on more fees for the out-of-a-job-but-loving-it traveler. Anyway, I weighed my options, $5 for 10 minutes at the Hilton or $5 for 5 hours in Ecuador? The second option seemed far better, so I decided to wait.

Another musing from yesterday...
After reclaiming my luggage in Miami and carrying my hiking pack along with a heavy school backpack around a few places, I became bitter. What was I thinking when I decided to buy a hiking pack? Was I trying to look like a cool, adventurous, quasi hippie traveler or did I really think a hiking pack would be the easiest thing to get from point A to B to C and so on? Perhaps a bit of both. After a little practice carrying the pack and once snacks and vitamins start to decrease, I think (and hope!) I grow to love my pack. For now though, we have a tense relationship.

Well, after sitting for more than three hours in the airport and for over three hours on the plane, the last thing I want to do is sit at a computer. However, there really isn't anywhere to go outside my hostel. So, my elevation headache and I might just hit the bed. A good rest before convening with God's flora and fauna tomorrow is just what I need.

Night. Buenas Noches.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment